World Watch One
|World Watch One|
|Base Hull||Split-level tour bus|
|Drive Type||Banzai-Hikita Ion Drive|
|Drive Rating||Max velocity 0.05c|
|Owner||The Banzai Institute for Biomedical Research and Strategic Information|
|Flag of Record||The Conch Republic|
|Faction||Pulpers, the Banzai Institute, Supers|
|Launched||18 August, 2009|
|Purpose||Exploration, transportation, residence|
|Primary Crew||BBI #14 "Blackstone" (aka "Ko-ryu-san" or "Brother Doubt") - Nominal captain and chief bottlewasher|
BBI #42 "Nezumi" (aka "Wendy" or "Sister Mayhem")
BBI #8 "Chaos" (aka "Brother Chaos" or "Scott")
BBI #39 "J." (aka "Stranger" or "Brother Discord")
|Other Crew||"Buckaroo" - Resident AI, muse, sensei, and ship's brain|
Occasional other Blue Blazer Irregulars
|Auxillary Vehicles||The Jet Car|
Known Vehicle Quirks
- Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean: Buckaroo is, for all intents and purposes, a manifestation of the character created by Earl Mac Rauch. He teaches a combination of bushido and the Golden Rule, and encourages WW1's crew to better themselves in every way. If they slack off, he gets disappointed, and performance of WW1 starts to drop. None of the Blue Blazers have let it drop to the point where systems start failing.
- Keep on Rocking in the Free World: Buckaroo loves music. Without it, he becomes cryptic and withdrawn (not sullen or mean, because Buckaroo is never these things). He maintains a number of music production software for the Blue Blazers to noodle on, and they are constantly picking up new tunes for Buckaroo to upload into his systems and manipulate. Buckaroo wants to put out more music, and the Blue Blazers are putting together a band. Slowly.
- Knowledge is Power: Buckaroo is constantly uploading information, whether it is news, scientific data, or changes in cultural climates. He voraciously reads all sources of news available, eating up massive amounts of bandwidth whenever his wi-fi antennae get within range of a satellite or other access node.
Known Crew Quirks
- Blue Blazers: The crew of WW1 are all students of Buckaroo Banzai and follow the tenets laid out by Earl Mac Rauch in his screenplay and described in the canon of Buckaroo Banzai. None of them use their birth names, insisting that the names that Buckaroo gave them are their "real" names. They do occasionally refer to each other by their first names, but no person outside of the group know the crew's full names (and not even some of them).
- /We are Many: The Blue Blazers number more than just the crew of the WW1. They maintain an information network across most of the First World countries of Earth and parts of the Second World. Often, Blue Blazers "hitchhike" along with the crew of WW1, serving as an extra crewman for a period of time. In addition, the sheer diversity of the Blue Blazers offers WW1 a global network of expertise that they can access by satellite phone. The Blue Blazers are working towards expanding their fleet, presumably with a World Watch Two in the near future.
- World Watch One is on pretty good terms with most of the fen factions, since they make their living as professional altruists.
- The Banzai Institute for Biomedical Research and Strategic Information is a non-profit organization registered in the United States and the European Union. Its mailing address is listed as a P.O. Box located in Dallas, Texas. Both the P.O. Box and the email domain, banzai-institute.org, are registered under a shell corporation, managed by a woman known as Mrs. Johnson. It is believed, by some, that Mrs. Johnson is Blackstone's mother.
- The RIAA has a standing subpoena for the hacker known as "Buckaroo Banzai" for illegal copying of copyrighted intellectual product. Due to misinformation, Buckaroo Banzai is believed to be the human pilot of the World Watch One and the RIAA has had several embarrassments trying to serve the subpoena, including serving it to Peter Weller at one point.
- Likewise, the Library of Congress and the proprietors of several massive databases want to speak with Buckaroo Banzai. While the wholesale duplication of their publicly available information is not a crime, they are curious as to how he waltzed through their security infrastructure without slowing down and copied everything.
- Mr. Rauch has had an extended conversation with Buckaroo, as has W.D. Richter, the director of the original movie. Both have given the AI their blessings.
World Watch One is featured in the following stories:
- Buckaroo Banzai and the Fen from Space
- Buckaroo Banzai and the Terror from the Shadows
- Legend of Galactic Girls